Thursday, August 11, 2005

Toastmasters

I talked about my favorite cartoon character in front of 30 perfect strangers last night. While sitting in my chair at my second Toastmasters meeting, I have to say it felt a bit like I imagine an AA meeting would feel. The meetings are structured and formal, with an agenda and a specified Toastmaster who runs the meeting. Members present “word of the day” and “tip of the day”, ask random questions of those in attendance to create opportunities for extemporaneous responses, and give prepared speeches with other members presenting critiques. The support is outstanding; as each speaker takes the podium, whether it is to give a persuasive ten minute speech or divulge their least favorite movie, there is applause and encouragement all around. I signed up as a member today, which means I need to begin preparing my first of ten speeches required to become an official certified “Toastmaster”. I don’t enjoy public speaking, but I am realizing that the cliché is true – the more I practice, the easier it gets, and this is an ideal practice environment.

My favorite cartoon character, by the way, is Woodstock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home