Tuesday, September 06, 2005

New Orleans 3 - energy, volunteering

I try to avoid turning on the tv, because it's hard to turn off the Katrina coverage. I try to avoid protracted conversations about New Orleans, because it seems like the same conversation over and over.

Interesting to see Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney's comments regarding energy efficiency. I think he might almost get it. Suspending the gas tax and other "band-aids" are NOT short term fixes, they will make the situation far worse in the long run. Energy efficient cars aren't the solution either. This is an opportunity for federal, state, and local leaders to educate about REAL long-term sustainable solutions, which I don't think the American public is quite ready to hear. So instead we hear about suspending the gas tax (bad!) and driving hybrid cars (misdirection!).

By the way, am I the only one that finds Romney's criticism of the federal response to Katrina incredibly inappropriate political posturing?

Jim Kunstler's comments regarding New Orleans and the future.

What I am thinking about lately is going to New Orleans and donating time as a civil engineer. Need to see what my company thinks about that; I think I'll float it to them today. I can't afford to take 2 unpaid weeks though.

For those who can, donate to the Red Cross.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home