Monday, August 22, 2005

Movie Review - Broken Flowers

I give Broken Flowers two thumbs up, but it's not for everyone. I found the combination of independent director Jim Jarmusch's minimalist style with Bill Murray's evolving dry, detatched, character type (taken to new cynical extremes here) to be quite entertaining, thought provoking, and often funny in the what the hell was that all about way. Life seems to happen TO Bill and he wearily accepts his present, but as the movie progresses we see his character show signs of life and consider the future as he is confronted with his past. Brilliant intentional vagueness and subtelty requires the viewer to interpret and think.

I'll skip the plot synopsis, suffice to say Jarmusch does not resolve anything with the usual Hollywood decisiveness. I love that. Superb acting all around with short appearances by Sharon Stone, Chloe Sevigny, Jessica Lange, Frances Conroy, and Tilda Swinton.

1 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger eileen said...

I liked it as well, especially Jeffrey Wright as the neighbor. The movie cracked me up but it moves at a slow pace, a la Lost In Translation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home