Friday, March 24, 2006

But at what cost?


Mayor Menino announced his vision for a new skyscraper downtown in the Financial District last week. He's calling for what would be Boston's tallest building on the site of an existing City parking garage at Winthrop Square.



Globe critic Robert Campbell wrote this viewpoint about the plans which I completely agree with. The idea of a new skyscraper mixing with the old Boston architecture is seductive and I'm all for it if the market can bear the additional office space, but in this location, without people living nearby to create 24 hour life, a skyscraper will overwhelm this little square and reinforce the canyon-like streets where everything closes at 5 and the world moves on leaving nothing but trash blowing like tumbleweeds in the streets. I say this from experience, because anytime I walk from my office to the gym past this garage at night I'm just a little freaked out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home