Thursday, August 11, 2005

Oil prices

Oil prices surge as the US continues a car-dependent, sprawling way of life. What will it take to change? Jim Kunstler calls this the "long emergency" in his new book (which I still need to read). To what level do gas prices rise before Americans truly realize the need for compact communities and public transportation? Actually, I don't think it will be a gradually realized choice, I believe before the long emergency plays out there are bound to be wake-up call world events such as the oil crises in the 1970s that disrupt oil supply. That's what it will take to stop building suburban crap, stop reliance on the automobile, and start living in a truly sustainable way.

2 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost 28 years old and still have never owned a car, despite growing up in suburbia. Quite happy not to have one too.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I sold my car a few months ago because I rarely used it, and it feels great. If I ever need a car for work or for a trip, Zipcar is always there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home